Homes in South Amboy

One of the oldest towns in New Jersey, South Amboy’s quaint suburban community sits at the mouth of the Raritan River, eyes set on New York City. Known to the Lenape as “Ompoge”, meaning “level ground” or “standing upright”, South Amboy was settled first by the Dutch as a signaling station to aid in the defense of New Amsterdam; a task it came just shy of succeeding at in 1664 when the British conquered New Netherland. The Dutch were forced to abandon South Amboy, though Scottish settlers would take their places in 1684 with the settlement of Perth Amboy. Still a vital military installation well into the late eighteenth century, South Amboy is mentioned several times by name in the correspondence of General George Washington, the town an enduring consideration as he cautiously monitored British ships on the Raritan. Rural and sparsely populated at the end of the Revolutionary War, South Amboy’s growth was spurred on by the opening of the Camden & Amboy Railroad in 1831.…

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Sayreville

A vibrant community on the banks of the Raritan River, Sayreville is a truly unique town with a history spanning tens of thousands of years. The site of many a paleontological expedition, Sayreville was once home to Deinosuchus, a forty foot crocodile which lived and hunted in the area during the Cretaceous Period. Less terrifyingly, the oldest bird fossil yet uncovered in North America was found here, a partial feather encased in amber. Sayreville’s first human residents were the Lenape. Hunting along and around the Navesink, the Lenape lived on the banks of the South River, cultivating corn, potatoes and squash in the rich soil which would come to define the Garden State. Sayreville was not discovered by Europeans until 1656, when Dutch surveyor Adriaen van der Donck noted the vast population of indigenous peoples living here. The Dutch, with their limited involvement in North America, were content to leave the Lenape alone. It was not until the British takeover of New Ne…

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Perth Amboy

Seated at the intersection of the Raritan River and Arthur Kill Strait, a low-lying strip of land with a long and storied waterfront, Perth Amboy was known to the Lenape as “Ompoge”, meaning “level ground” or “standing upright”. On the border between New Jersey and New York, Perth Amboy was chosen to be the capital of the East Jersey colony in 1686 when the first Scottish settlers arrived. Anglicizing “Ompoge” to “Ambo”, the town was christened Perth Amboy in honor of East Jersey’s original proprietor, James Drummond, Earl of Perth. The town stayed the capital of East Jersey until 1703, when East and West Jersey were unified into New Jersey. Thereafter, Perth Amboy became the alternate capital after Burlington, and remained so until 1776. A crucial way-station between New York and New Jersey, Perth Amboy survived on ferry and boat traffic, finding new life at the start of the twentieth century when Eastern and Central European immigrants came to work at the many newly const…

Read more
  • 0

Home in Ocean Township

The foundation upon which so much of the great Jersey Shore rests, Ocean Township is a storied and picturesque community set comfortably back from the busy Atlantic coast. Ocean Township was first purchased from the Lenape in 1687 by Gavin Drummond, a Scotsman and surveyor who would go to become one of the richest landowners in the New Jersey Colony. Having misunderstood the terms of the contract, the natives accepted merely “one gun, five match coats, one kettle and two pounds weight of powder” for land incorporating not only Ocean Township but much of today’s Deal, Wanamassa and Asbury Park. Farming, fishing and timber proved to be the most prosperous of those industries which flourished in the area. With so many communities sprouting up in the area, Ocean Township proper was established officially in 1849, then extending all the way from the southern bank of the Shrewsbury River to the very bottom of Monmouth County. With such a vast territory, it was only natural that n…

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Neptune Township

With lush rolling hills to the west and warm sandy beaches to the east, Neptune Township sits bestriding the Shark River, a large but lowkey town in the heart of the Jersey Shore. For millennia, the Lenape made their home in Neptune Township, fishing and clamming in the Shark River by day and camping along its vast banks by night. Though Neptune would come under possession of the Dutch West India Company in 1623, colonists would not arrive in any impactful numbers until the English began settling the area following their takeover of New Jersey in 1664. By the 1700s, two salt works would be established around the Shark River. Salt being used to preserve food in the days before refrigeration, the salt works were crucially important in the early colonial economy and for New Jersey-based rebels during the Revolutionary War. It was these salt works which attracted British and loyalist forces to Neptune in 1778. Striking without warning, the British were able to torch one of the …

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Marlboro

Once home to the Lenape, Marlboro is a lush outcropping in the center of Monmouth County, richly blessed in only the way the Garden State can be. Named for the town’s rich deposits of marl, a natural fertilizer which Jersey farmers utilized extensively throughout the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries, Marlboro was originally a small collection of hamlets before the fateful discovery of several marl pits in 1768. After the finding, agriculture and the exportation of marl put the town on the map, building the small colonial villages into robust, semi-industrial settlements. During the Revolutionary War, Marlboro was the site of several clashes between British and revolutionary forces in the months following the Battle of Monmouth. With their forces scattered, those remaining British troops in the area frequently resorted to raiding the countryside for food and supplies. Local militias fought back however, engaging in sporadic guerilla campaigns that continued unt…

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Matawan

Partitioned by Lake Lefferts and Wilkson Creek, a quaint tangle of neighborhoods on the fringes of the Bayshore, Matawan was known to the Lenape as “Mechananienk”, meaning “where two rivers become one.” Arriving first in the early half of the seventeenth century, the Dutch bastardized Mechananienk to “Matovancons” which, by the time the English took over in 1665, had become simply “Matawan.” As Scotch-Irish settlers began establishing farms and working the land during the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, they christened their new community Aberdeen Township. Old Aberdeen incorporated much of what is today Old Bridge and Matawan, with Matawan breaking off and becoming an independent borough in 1895. An early industrial town, Matawan played a significant part in the history of aviation, being the site of the first operational Visual Aural Range, a radio navigation aid which revolutionized how pilots communicated with the ground.

Today, Matawan is a c…

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Hazlet

Set back, aloof, Hazlet is a verdant suburban refuge in the busy center of Monmouth County. Originally an agrarian community, old Hazlet was once a part of Raritan Township, a conglomerate of present day Bayshore towns which thrived around the rich Raritan Bay and the fertile soil which it produced in its vicinity. Populated primarily by forests and farmland, Hazlet remained in the shadow of the fishing and shipping communities around it until after the First and Second World Wars when new homes were built en masse to accommodate returning GIs, as well as those fishermen effected by collapse of fishing in the Raritan Bay beginning at the start of the twentieth century. Reincorporated finally as its own township in 1967, Hazlet is named for Dr. John Hazlett, a wealthy estate owner who built his opulent, palace-like home on what is now the Keyport-Holmdel Turnpike. Famously, the town was once the site of an expansive Heinz Ketchup factory, one of the first in New Jersey, as w…

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Colts Neck

A lush, rolling settlement in the center of Monmouth County, Colts Neck was once home to the Lenape. Four indigenous trails intersected in Colts Neck, making it a central meeting place for hunters and fishermen from the Lenape and neighboring nations. Though Europeans arrived sporadically to Colts Neck from as early as the fourteenth century, it was not until 1665 with the signing of the Monmouth Patent that the town was lastingly settled by those original patentees. These first settlers, most of them Scottish and Dutch, found themselves living not unlike the natives, hunting for food and living in humble log cabins and homes fashioned after teepees. It was not until the beginning of the 1700s that permanent structures began being erected in Colts Neck. In 1778, British and revolutionary commanders camped in and around Colts Neck during the Battle of Monmouth, as did students of the French political economist Francois Marie Charles Fourier who founded what was supposed to b…

Read more
  • 0

Homesin.com: Creating Community Connections

Homesin.com: Creating Community Connections

We at Homesin.com, this past month, have introduced an online portal that connects to towns and cities across America as part of our expedition. To accomplish this journey requires community collaboration when it comes to creating relevant content.  Accordingly, in order to fully capture the lifestyle distinctiveness and nuances of each community and, thus, properly convey each town story... one must (in the view of HomesIn.com) involve four integrated sources.

1)  Public domain data and information that pertains to the facts and figures necessary in order to provide an objective rendering of each town, city, and neighborhood.

2) Content designed to enable site visitors to personally examine their lifestyle needs as part of a "community matching" process… similar to eHarmony – but, in this case, for achieving the proper community match.

3)  Content that is transparently and ap…

Read more
  • 0