Advertisements

Latest Listings

Check out our newest listings

View More Listings

From the Blog

Read our latest articles

Homes in Matawan

Partitioned by Lake Lefferts and Wilkson Creek, a quaint tangle of neighborhoods on the fringes of the Bayshore, Matawan was known to the Lenape as “Mechananienk”, meaning “where two rivers become one.” Arriving first in the early half of the seventeenth century, the Dutch bastardized Mechananienk to “Matovancons” which, by the time the English took over in 1665, had become simply “Matawan.” As Scotch-Irish settlers began establishing farms and working the land during the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, they christened their new community Aberdeen Township. Old Aberdeen incorporated much of what is today Old Bridge and Matawan, with Matawan breaking off and becoming an independent borough in 1895. An early industrial town, Matawan played a significant part in the history of aviation, being the site of the first operational Visual Aural Range, a radio navigation aid which revolutionized how pilots communicated with the ground.

Today, Matawan is a c…

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Hazlet

Set back, aloof, Hazlet is a verdant suburban refuge in the busy center of Monmouth County. Originally an agrarian community, old Hazlet was once a part of Raritan Township, a conglomerate of present day Bayshore towns which thrived around the rich Raritan Bay and the fertile soil which it produced in its vicinity. Populated primarily by forests and farmland, Hazlet remained in the shadow of the fishing and shipping communities around it until after the First and Second World Wars when new homes were built en masse to accommodate returning GIs, as well as those fishermen effected by collapse of fishing in the Raritan Bay beginning at the start of the twentieth century. Reincorporated finally as its own township in 1967, Hazlet is named for Dr. John Hazlett, a wealthy estate owner who built his opulent, palace-like home on what is now the Keyport-Holmdel Turnpike. Famously, the town was once the site of an expansive Heinz Ketchup factory, one of the first in New Jersey, as w…

Read more
  • 0

Homes in Colts Neck

A lush, rolling settlement in the center of Monmouth County, Colts Neck was once home to the Lenape. Four indigenous trails intersected in Colts Neck, making it a central meeting place for hunters and fishermen from the Lenape and neighboring nations. Though Europeans arrived sporadically to Colts Neck from as early as the fourteenth century, it was not until 1665 with the signing of the Monmouth Patent that the town was lastingly settled by those original patentees. These first settlers, most of them Scottish and Dutch, found themselves living not unlike the natives, hunting for food and living in humble log cabins and homes fashioned after teepees. It was not until the beginning of the 1700s that permanent structures began being erected in Colts Neck. In 1778, British and revolutionary commanders camped in and around Colts Neck during the Battle of Monmouth, as did students of the French political economist Francois Marie Charles Fourier who founded what was supposed to b…

Read more
  • 0