In the early 1890s, wealthy railroad financier and shipping magnate George Washington Young discovered the Jersey Shore and purchased 135 acres in West Deal where he built a magnificent estate. Young was among a pioneer group that established the first golf course at the shore, nine holes designed by Lawrence Van Etten. The original nine holes with minor changes now play as the 1st, 2nd, and 12th through 18th holes. Young and associates played the course for three years before organizing as the Deal Golf Club in 1898. They then built the clubhouse which remains the oldest in continuous use in New Jersey.